Eternal Source

Eternal SourceEternal Source in Lyminge Parish Church (© Kate Beaugie)

Eternal Source


by Kate Beaugié

Created in 2021

22ct gold leaf, oil paint and gesso on an oak panel


Made from early 20th century pew oak recycled from this church and combining late Medieval/ early Renaissance panel painting techniques with imagery from the aerial technology (LIDAR) and Google Maps, Eternal Source is made to reflect our time, yet exist comfortably, forever, within the church context.


I have created a contemporary icon, to celebrate the existence of the Nail Bourne, the river that rises in Lyminge, and its journey from source to sea.


The dark blue background is made from a mix of Ultramarine Blue to represent the heavenly and Raw Umber to represent the earth.


Gold is used to represent the water. The gold reflects the sunlight that comes through the adjacent window, and this reflection changes as the light changes through the day, so it almost seems alive.


Water is the source of life, why people chose to camp and spend time in this specific landscape 8-10,000 years ago. The debris from making flint tools has been found in large quantities close to the spring head of the Nail Bourne, which has been a holy well associated with St Eadburg for at least 1,200 years. This spring still flows out of the chalk to this day, demonstrating a startling continuity for the well which continued as the main public source of water for Lyminge up to 1905.


The dimensions are 5’ 7” by 18”; the approximate height and width of a woman, referencing the royal Anglo-Saxon saints of Lyminge: St. Ethelburga (who died c 650) and St Eadburg (who died in 751). The resting place of both of them is believed to have been close by up until 1085 when their remains were translated to the Priory of St Gregory in Canterbury.


Kate Beaugié


Pew used for Eternal SourceThe pew used to create the panel on which Eternal Source was painted (© Rob Baldwin)

Maker's mark on the pewMaker's mark of TE Eldridge who made the pew in 1905.  Thomas Edgar Eldridge (1847-1918) was born at Guestling in East Sussex.  He trained as a carpenter but by 1905 he was the estate foreman at  Ridge Farm, Acrise, some four and a half miles from Lyminge.  It is not known why he worked on this pew, which was supplied to the church by Lyminge firm AA Clayson.  The oak is reputed to have come from trees growing in Broome Park, to the north of Lyminge near Barham (© Rob Baldwin)

Robert Stiles and prepared boardRobert Stiles, carpenter, with the board he prepared from the old pew for Eternal Source (© Kate Beaugie)

Hanging the board for Eternal SourceHanging the prepared board to ensure the fixings were level to take the finished piece once it had been painted (© Liz Coleman)

This page is managed by Lyminge Parish Council Historic Environment Working Group